Gunston Hall is a colonial estate in Fairfax County, Va., about 15 miles down
the Potomac River from Alexandria and not far from Mount Vernon. Built between
1755 and 1758, it is a representative piece of Virginia's colonial architecture
and has been designated a national shrine. Gunston Hall was the home of George
Mason, one of Virginia's outstanding Revolutionary figures. In addition to
serving in the Constitutional Convention, Mason was prominent in drafting the
first constitution of Virginia and was the author of the Virginia Declaration of
Rights, which served as the prototype for the Bill of Rights, the first 10
amendments to the Constitution of the United States. You may visit the plantation
which is now a National Historic Landmark.
The original Gunston Hall is located in Codsall, Staffordshire, England. At first it was called "Gunstone Hall" which is the name of a small hamlet nearby. The building dates back to the 15th century and was originally owned by a cousin of George Mason. George Mason came to Virginia after the defeat of Charles II in the Battle of Worcester in 1651. The picture shows the part of the original that survives which today functions as a livery. The photo and history were provided by Jackie LaRaia of the Gunston Hall estate. More information is available at: gunstonhall.org.